In 1931, the newly established volunteer hospital society, with Rev. T. H. Wilkinson as its first president, coordinated fundraising for a new hospital in downtown Burns Lake. Community leaders George Muir and Rev. Wilkinson played pivotal roles in rallying support, securing donations, and ensuring the building’s completion.
Fundraising efforts for the new hospital included a March 31, 1931, benefit concert featuring more than a dozen acts. Viola Saul (vocal solo), Rupert Conlon (saxophone solo), and an instrumental trio consisting of Mrs. Jewell and the Godwins (Sidney and Kathleen) were some of the entertainers performing that night.
The new 19-bed facility was constructed by the Prince George firm of A. P. Anderson at a cost of more than $30,000. Although the federal and provincial governments helped fund the project, most of the money required came from the Women’s Missionary Society (WMS) to the United Church and Lakes District residents. The building’s plumbing was completed by “Mr. Harper” of Prince George, while John Gowan of Burns Lake installed the building’s electrical wiring and lights. Included in the design were an operating room and X-ray room, as well as separate wards for men and women.
The hospital began accepting patients in October 1931, and officially opened on July 9, 1932. Mrs. J. S. Gordon, special British Columbia representative for the Women’s Missionary Society of the United Church of Canada, accepted the hospital keys from Rev. E. S. Fleming and then cut a ribbon strung across the building’s Alaska Way entrance.
“Our move to the new hospital was a happy event,” recalled one nurse years later. “Just imagine, running water, electric lights, inside conveniences, an autoclave to sterilize in, even if we had to get it done before midnight, as the power was cut then until morning.”
Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, the WMS, the Elks Lodge, the Women’s Institute, and local churches donated machinery, linen, and other items to the hospital. They also raised funds for an X-ray machine, incubator, sterilizer, and other essential equipment. Despite financial and staffing challenges, the hospital delivered critical care to a growing and often remote population. Leaders such as Dr. W. G. Gray and Matron Doris Allin, R.N., provided stability and medical guidance, while Rev. Wilkinson and George Muir continued to advocate for resources.
The Great Depression placed considerable stress on the hospital’s finances. “Patients paid their bills with vegetables, meat, and wood,” according to one nurse. “Money was almost a forgotten thing.”
Keeping the place warm was also a challenge.
"One of our tasks was to stoke the old wood furnace when on night duty," said one of the nurses. "Eckland, our handyman, would pile a wheel barrow of wood beside the furnace, and about 3 a.m., the night nurse went down and stoked up. What a struggle some of those big logs were, especially for our little Miss (Ella) Siteman, Becky Brown, who weighed about 85 pounds."
Fundraising was an ongoing exercise. In the summer of 1948, the women’s auxiliary staged one of Burns Lake’s most memorable events when it auctioned the services of some of the community’s prominent males. Men purchased during the auxiliary’s “Husband Sale” stacked firewood, fixed fences, and hauled supplies for the Lakes District’s married and single females. What began as a humorous way to highlight the hospital’s financial woes turned into a lively community event that raised both money and spirits. It was an example of the village’s ability to combine wit with determination, proving once again that when the hospital needed assistance, residents stepped up, even if it meant putting themselves on the auction block.
By the 1950s, hospital admissions had risen alarmingly, and the downtown facility often had more patients than ward space. The community responded with “Aid Nights,” and residents made personal donations of equipment and food. A new sewage system improved sanitation, and additional medical equipment – including a diathermy unit and a resuscitator – helped improve care. Doctors Burton and Holmes, as well as hospital board members like Mrs. Isobel Montaldi, worked tirelessly on behalf of the institution, while Mrs. Marion Smith, Edith Johnson, and other auxiliary leaders organized fundraising drives.
Hospital governance also matured. Local boards, municipal leaders, and service organizations debated zoning, expansion, and staffing. The WMS and hospital auxiliaries continued to play a vital role in both fundraising and patient care, and community volunteers contributed to projects that saw a freezer, washer, and morgue equipment added to the facility.
Through three decades, the Burns Lake WMS Hospital transitioned from a volunteer-led initiative to a vital regional institution. The leadership of doctors, nurses, and clergy, combined with the generosity of auxiliaries and residents, ensured that despite ongoing challenges, the hospital remained at the heart of the community’s care.
Fundraising efforts for the new hospital included a March 31, 1931, benefit concert featuring more than a dozen acts. Viola Saul (vocal solo), Rupert Conlon (saxophone solo), and an instrumental trio consisting of Mrs. Jewell and the Godwins (Sidney and Kathleen) were some of the entertainers performing that night.
The new 19-bed facility was constructed by the Prince George firm of A. P. Anderson at a cost of more than $30,000. Although the federal and provincial governments helped fund the project, most of the money required came from the Women’s Missionary Society (WMS) to the United Church and Lakes District residents. The building’s plumbing was completed by “Mr. Harper” of Prince George, while John Gowan of Burns Lake installed the building’s electrical wiring and lights. Included in the design were an operating room and X-ray room, as well as separate wards for men and women.
The hospital began accepting patients in October 1931, and officially opened on July 9, 1932. Mrs. J. S. Gordon, special British Columbia representative for the Women’s Missionary Society of the United Church of Canada, accepted the hospital keys from Rev. E. S. Fleming and then cut a ribbon strung across the building’s Alaska Way entrance.
“Our move to the new hospital was a happy event,” recalled one nurse years later. “Just imagine, running water, electric lights, inside conveniences, an autoclave to sterilize in, even if we had to get it done before midnight, as the power was cut then until morning.”
Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, the WMS, the Elks Lodge, the Women’s Institute, and local churches donated machinery, linen, and other items to the hospital. They also raised funds for an X-ray machine, incubator, sterilizer, and other essential equipment. Despite financial and staffing challenges, the hospital delivered critical care to a growing and often remote population. Leaders such as Dr. W. G. Gray and Matron Doris Allin, R.N., provided stability and medical guidance, while Rev. Wilkinson and George Muir continued to advocate for resources.
The Great Depression placed considerable stress on the hospital’s finances. “Patients paid their bills with vegetables, meat, and wood,” according to one nurse. “Money was almost a forgotten thing.”
Keeping the place warm was also a challenge.
"One of our tasks was to stoke the old wood furnace when on night duty," said one of the nurses. "Eckland, our handyman, would pile a wheel barrow of wood beside the furnace, and about 3 a.m., the night nurse went down and stoked up. What a struggle some of those big logs were, especially for our little Miss (Ella) Siteman, Becky Brown, who weighed about 85 pounds."
Fundraising was an ongoing exercise. In the summer of 1948, the women’s auxiliary staged one of Burns Lake’s most memorable events when it auctioned the services of some of the community’s prominent males. Men purchased during the auxiliary’s “Husband Sale” stacked firewood, fixed fences, and hauled supplies for the Lakes District’s married and single females. What began as a humorous way to highlight the hospital’s financial woes turned into a lively community event that raised both money and spirits. It was an example of the village’s ability to combine wit with determination, proving once again that when the hospital needed assistance, residents stepped up, even if it meant putting themselves on the auction block.
By the 1950s, hospital admissions had risen alarmingly, and the downtown facility often had more patients than ward space. The community responded with “Aid Nights,” and residents made personal donations of equipment and food. A new sewage system improved sanitation, and additional medical equipment – including a diathermy unit and a resuscitator – helped improve care. Doctors Burton and Holmes, as well as hospital board members like Mrs. Isobel Montaldi, worked tirelessly on behalf of the institution, while Mrs. Marion Smith, Edith Johnson, and other auxiliary leaders organized fundraising drives.
Hospital governance also matured. Local boards, municipal leaders, and service organizations debated zoning, expansion, and staffing. The WMS and hospital auxiliaries continued to play a vital role in both fundraising and patient care, and community volunteers contributed to projects that saw a freezer, washer, and morgue equipment added to the facility.
Through three decades, the Burns Lake WMS Hospital transitioned from a volunteer-led initiative to a vital regional institution. The leadership of doctors, nurses, and clergy, combined with the generosity of auxiliaries and residents, ensured that despite ongoing challenges, the hospital remained at the heart of the community’s care.